Monday, May 28, 2012

Obedience

I'm reading Compassion by Henri Nouwen, Donald McNeill, and Douglas Morrison. It's been really good so far and has made me think a lot. Right now, I'm reading about Jesus being an Obedient God. The book talks about how the obedience to God that Jesus revealed is what truly sets him apart. The miraculous things he did did not set him apart and people didn't follow him because of his humility. His obedience to God to the point of suffering and death is what truly captures people's attention. This flipped on a switch in my head and made me realize that I have not had this mindset. I feel as if I've been seeking comfort and affirmation. I understand that God provides people and community and allows them to feel joy through that, but when that is sought out above other things and is made more important than obedience to God, problems arise. There will be times throughout my life where I will not be comfortable or affirmed, and I will need to be obedient to God still. This life is not about my comfort, but about God's kingdom. A part of the true compassion Jesus showed was complete obedience to God, even when it hurt. He was willing as well, it was not something that he dragged his way through and complained and whined about. No, Jesus was willing to be obedient even unto death, because of his love for us and for his father.

2 comments: