Monday, June 4, 2012

Thank you, Lord, for where you have me

Sometimes we tend to forget thankfulness when it comes to the small things. We are always striving for more. What BIG lessons are we going to learn? Well, maybe there are small lessons and maybe we should be thankful for those. I've been slowly making my way through Bonhoeffer's Life Together and he talks about being thankful for the small things. A point he brings up is that if we cannot accept the small things God provides, why would he trust us to accept the big things? He hones in on community specifically, and states, "If we do not give thanks daily for the Christian fellowship in which we have been placed, even where there is not great experience, no discoverable riches, but much weakness, small faith, and difficulty" and if we "keep complaining to God that everything is so paltry and petty, so far from what we expected, then we hinder God from letting our fellowship grow according to the measure and riches which are there for us all in Jesus Christ". This makes me eager to pray more often for the Christian fellowship I am in both at school and at home. When first reading this, I was specifically thinking about my community at school, but I am HOME right now. I need to be where I'm at and remember to pray for my community here along with my community at school, so that we can continue to grow in all that the Lord has for us through Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts. I've been trying to keep up with a gratitude journal lately, and it's so cool to see how thankfulness changes our perspective and attitude so much, even when our circumstances are no different.

    ReplyDelete